In 1879 on Rotsoord no. 13, Mr. A. Staatsen started a bleaching shop and a washing and drying house called De Vlijt. After a while he moved to no. 24. In 1900 the building complex included a steam washing shop, drying halls, bleach fields, a soap works and a storage for wagons.
The new “drying house” counted 4 floors and had 8 windows at the front side and 28 on the side (compare washing house Aurora, on the Koningsweg). The bourgeoisie and all sorts of institutions brought their clothes and linnen here to be washed. Since the usage of ditch water was not recommended for the bourgeoisie, a note was made on the receipt of usage of pumped water. After the liquidation of the company in 1973 the area got allocated a recreational purpose due to protests and actions of the community. Amongst others, a petting zoo was realised.
The company residence (dated 1905) and the coach shed still remain. A noteworthy detail in the residency is the window from where the overseer could see what happened both in front and on the side of the house.