extinguisher house This fire extinguisher house of the voluntary fire brigade dates from around 1860. In the time when there was no motorized transport, it was considered important to spread the apparel needed to extinguish fire throughout the city, so that they could be deployed quickly in the event of a fire. This is one […]
Leeuwenbergh was hoisted onto this place Ms. Joffer av Agnes van Leeuwenbergh cheprse and in the year 1794 Transformed into Military Barracks [second gable stone illegible] This building was used from 1930-2004 as a church by the Leeuwenbergh community in which the Utrecht department collaborated with the Association of Liberal Reformed in the Netherlands and […]
Rooms by Jan van Campen In 1574, Jan van Campen renovated his house, giving rise to four large and nine small rooms attached to the Leeuwenbergh guest house. The nine rooms still exist. In 1645, when the Nieuwe Kamp was built, part of it was demolished and replaced, of which one house still exists. The […]
Metelerkamp Foundation Far into the 19th century, wealthy people built homes for the poor. In 1844 Miss P.P.J. Metelerkamp ordered five houses with two rooms. However, three of these (in the alley) were occupied by multiple families, bringing the actual number of homes to 8. These double-occupied houses were therefore real ‘chambers’. The distribution of […]
Bruntenhof Fifteen apartments built in 1621 by Frederik Brunt on the site of the medieval Klein Lepelenburg. At number 5 is the main building with a monumental gate. Between 1979 and 1981 the complex was restored.
Leeuwenbergh guest house Plague hospital built in 1567 from a bequest of Agnes van Leeuwenbergh. nearly rebuilt in 1678 after a city fire. Converted into military barracks in 1794. University building from 1845 to 1930. Church building ever since. Restored in 1881, 1930 and 1977.
Foundation of Renswoude The wealthy Maria Duyst van Voorhout (1662 – 1754), Vrijvrouwe van Renswoude, left almost her entire fortune to three orphanages in Utrecht, Delft and The Hague. She determined that gifted orphan boys should be trained internally in artistic and technical subjects. The regents of the Utrecht Stadsambacht children’s home, now the Centraal […]
Clausstral house of St. Peter. Original rear facade of a house of a canon of the Pieterskerk. This site became a facade in the 17th century. In 1744 (right) and 1756 (left) Jacob Maret was commissioned by the owner D.J. van Tuyll van Seroeskerken van Zuylen to build a facade of Blue limestone. The top […]
Overvecht: from peat meadow area to residential area You are in a peat meadow area that was created in 2005. Until about 1960, the whole of Overvecht was a peat meadow area and consisted of narrow strips of land, dikes and ditches. It originated in the 12th and 13th century through large-scale cultivation of the […]
Landgoed Haarzuilens includes the imposing Kasteel de Haar with its castle gardens, the village of Haarzuilens and the surrounding lands. There is something for everyone in the area: a visit to a castle, a nice walk or bike ride in nature and a lunch or picnic in between these activities. Castle the hair Few castles […]