Buildings

Utrecht University

The Academiegebouw (academy building) was donated to the university by the city of Utrecht in 1896. It still serves as the university’s ceremonial centre, where major academic functions are held. The portraits in the medallions underneath the cornice represent the famous university professors from before 1896. The style of the building is neo-Renaissance, which contrast […]

Mill Geesina

Molen Geesina Stellingmolen, Korenmolen, Bouwjaar 1843 De molen is in 1911 gekocht door Abraham Schuurman, jarenlang voorzitter van de Algemene Nederlandse Molenaarsbond. Tot 1999 is de molen in bezit geweest van de familie Schuurman en tot in de jaren tachtig van de vorige eeuw is de molen met vallen en opstaan bedrijfsmatig ingezet. De huidige […]

The Little Meat House

Built in 1443 as one of the city’s public slaughter houses. Before 1433 the slaughter house was located next to the current town hall. The butcher’s guild, however, was abolished because its members meddled too much in the city’s politics. Only in 1443 new slaughterhouses were opened, namely here and in the Voorstraat. The Little […]

Scroll to top