The name Rotsoort is derived from the family name Van Oort, who had their country house (built in 1702 on the souther parts of the current Pastoe grounds) decorated with blue-black stone. The blue-black stone was melted too hotly in the oven and was therefore unsaleable. The patent and production of imitation marble gave them […]
Molen Geesina Stellingmolen, Korenmolen, Bouwjaar 1843 De molen is in 1911 gekocht door Abraham Schuurman, jarenlang voorzitter van de Algemene Nederlandse Molenaarsbond. Tot 1999 is de molen in bezit geweest van de familie Schuurman en tot in de jaren tachtig van de vorige eeuw is de molen met vallen en opstaan bedrijfsmatig ingezet. De huidige […]
The in 1602 constructed renaissance gate gave access to the workhouse founded by Evert van de Poll ‘for the ones who prefer to earn their living through labour than with empty begging’. The workhouse was abolished in the 18th century and rented out for various purposes.
Built in 1443 as one of the city’s public slaughter houses. Before 1433 the slaughter house was located next to the current town hall. The butcher’s guild, however, was abolished because its members meddled too much in the city’s politics. Only in 1443 new slaughterhouses were opened, namely here and in the Voorstraat. The Little […]
De Truttige Tuyl
The German House