On the bank of the Rhine Here two arms of the Rhine come together again. The river ‘De Mare’, now filled in, flowed into the Rhine from the north. A little further west De Vliet flowed in to the Rhine from the south. So this was literally a junction of waterways. It’s not surprising […]
The in 1602 constructed renaissance gate gave access to the workhouse founded by Evert van de Poll ‘for the ones who prefer to earn their living through labour than with empty begging’. The workhouse was abolished in the 18th century and rented out for various purposes.
The monastery, which was founded in 1420, got around 1515 a new double chapel along the street. In 1674 it became a children’s home for city crafmanship, after which it became a barracks in 1830. During the renovations for the Central Museum in 1919, the chapel and main wing remained in existence, built on a […]
Built in 1443 as one of the city’s public slaughter houses. Before 1433 the slaughter house was located next to the current town hall. The butcher’s guild, however, was abolished because its members meddled too much in the city’s politics. Only in 1443 new slaughterhouses were opened, namely here and in the Voorstraat. The Little […]
Founded in 1412 and dedicated to Saint Ursula and the Eleven Thousand Virgins. The original chapel , which was transformed into the Lutherian Church in 1744, still exists, as do the cellars of the main building, which was located at the current location of the school building.
Close to the 19th century fortress of Vechten, the Roman Castellum (Fortress Fectio) was located here in the period around 0 – 275 A.D.. The Castellum was located next to the Old Rhine (Oude Rijn) and has served many purposes, such as a base during the Roman campaigns. The presence of Roman soldiers attracted traders […]
Vechten’s Stone is made out of limestone, 84 cm high and has simpel decorations of trees on the flanks. The back is heavily damaged. On the left side of the front end a part of the stone is missing, causing some of the letters of the Latin text to be missed. The original limestone altar […]
Latijn: Deae viradecdi cives Tungri et Nautae q vi sectionne consistunt v.s.m.l. Explanation: To the goddess Viradecdis, the citizens of Tongeren en the shippers who live on the Vecht have repaid their debts, readily and willingly. Votum Solverunt Libentus Merito This is the Votum Solverunt Libentus Merito that would be erected as an altar to […]
Fortress at Vechten Fortress at Vechten was built on part of the terrain where the Roman Castellum (Fortress Fectio) stood. This fortress is the namesake of the township “Vechten”. Vechten was already known to be a site where roman antiquities are found. The first digs have been executed in 1829. During the construction of Fortress […]