On the bank of the Rhine Here two arms of the Rhine come together again. The river ‘De Mare’, now filled in, flowed into the Rhine from the north. A little further west De Vliet flowed in to the Rhine from the south. So this was literally a junction of waterways. It’s not surprising […]
The Rietveld Schröder House was the former residence of Miss T. Schröder (1889-1985). It was built in 1924 by Gerrit Th. Rietveld (1888-1964) in close cooperation with her and according to the principle of De Stijl. She lived here until her death. At the end of 2000, UNESCO placed it on the World Heritage list […]
Lord Jacob van Eyck c 1590 – 1657 Musician and Director of Utrecht’s clockwork In mouth and fingers, a keenness of hearing. In flute and carillon a wonder of the centuries
The in 1602 constructed renaissance gate gave access to the workhouse founded by Evert van de Poll ‘for the ones who prefer to earn their living through labour than with empty begging’. The workhouse was abolished in the 18th century and rented out for various purposes.
The monastery, which was founded in 1420, got around 1515 a new double chapel along the street. In 1674 it became a children’s home for city crafmanship, after which it became a barracks in 1830. During the renovations for the Central Museum in 1919, the chapel and main wing remained in existence, built on a […]
Built in 1443 as one of the city’s public slaughter houses. Before 1433 the slaughter house was located next to the current town hall. The butcher’s guild, however, was abolished because its members meddled too much in the city’s politics. Only in 1443 new slaughterhouses were opened, namely here and in the Voorstraat. The Little […]
Founded in 1412 and dedicated to Saint Ursula and the Eleven Thousand Virgins. The original chapel , which was transformed into the Lutherian Church in 1744, still exists, as do the cellars of the main building, which was located at the current location of the school building.
Folpert van Ouwen Allen The Dom Tower in Utrecht, as seen from the Korte Nieuwstraat. original Central Museum Utrecht A donation from the Carel Nengerman Foundation
The Rowing Flight A colorful boat of beaded braids, golden locks of curly hair sails through the Biltsche Grift Chatter on the water opens languid eyes for a moment, lying on the warm grass. But suddenly the barge is silent. The chips hang motionless. Just the rustle of the water and the wind. The boat […]