From 1815 until 1954, Paushuize was used as a workspace and residence for the governor of the province of Utrecht, later called the Commissioner of the King or Queen. When the governor moved to Paushuize, two guard houses were placed on the bridge over the Kromme Nieuwegracht. These (probably unmanned) guard houses possibly symbolized the military role that the governor had at that time, as commander of the armed forces in his province.
These guard houses stood on either side of the gate from around 1890 to 1936. The neo-Gothic detailing is noteworthy, as an attempt was made to match the sixteenth-century architecture of Paushuize. Nowadays, Paushuize is a representative space for the Commissioner of the King or Queen and the provincial government.
In 2017, the guard houses were transferred to the province by the National Military Museum and, after a restoration that restored the original colors, were placed in the courtyard of Paushuize.