The Kranenburg sawmill
This wind sawmill was built in 1797 for sawing wood that was transported via the Krommerijn river.
The mill was built by B. Reyster and changed owners several times.
Between 1815 and 1922, the miller collected tolls from passing barges and timber rafts that sailed between Utrecht and Wijk bij Duurstede. These tolls were used to maintain towpaths and bridges.
Until 1907, the mill was used as a sawmill, but then fell into serious disrepair.
In 1943, the mill was purchased by the municipality of Utrecht. It was the only octagonal windmill that the municipality still had at that time.
In 1944, a restoration plan was drawn up that would cost fl. 30,000. But in the winter of 1944-45, when there was an enormous shortage of fuel, the mill was heavily damaged by timber theft.
In 1954, the last remnants of the once beautiful building were demolished as part of the Krommerijn expansion plan.
Site plan of the Kranenburg sawmill:
- Vegetable garden
- Gardener's gardens
Ruins of the Kranenburg mill after the timber theft in 1944-45.
Watercolor by M. van Kuilenburg, 1950.