Grift bridge “1917”
The first horse tram in Utrecht was taken into use in 1879 for the connection with Zeist via the Biltstraat. A second line followed in 1889, connecting the Hoogelanden within the city via the Oudegracht with the Ledig Erf. In June 1906, the first electric tram came into service in Utrecht, which led to the abolition of the horse tram lines in the city a year later, with the exception of the horse tram to Vreeswijk, which remained in operation until 1923. At the height of the Utrecht Tram Company, five electric tram lines were in operation.
One of these tram lines went over the Griftbrug. The power supply for this electric tram ran at the location of the bridge via catenary masts that were incorporated in the construction of the bridge railing. These catenary masts have been preserved and are one of the few reminders of the old tram past of the city.
The transition to bus transport put an end to tram exploitation at the end of the 1930s; the oldest tram line to Zeist lasted until May 2, 1949.
In the photo from 1925 shown here, the tram is just approaching to take the bend to the Grift Bridge. The catenary portals can be clearly seen in this photo.