The built of the Saint Willibrord Church in Utrecht was initiated in 1875, by design of the Dutch architect Alfred Tepe (1840-1920). The neo-gothic church is also a creation of the Saint Bernulphus guild, an association founded in 1869 consisting of priests and artists.The woodcarving has been made in the studio of Friedrich Wilhelm Mengelberg […]
Legend: 1. Roman remainders 2. Holy Cross Chapel until 1826 3. Saint Salvator’s Church until 1587 4. Part of the Dom Church that collapsed in 1674 5. Buildings in 1955 6. Dom Church, monastery entrance and tower
In the year of our Lord Mdcclcv (1755) this entrance was restored
This is the sidewall dating from around 1540 of a medieval home owned by the prebendary (choir master) of the former Oudmunster church, or St Salvator church (circumference in the paving of the Domplein). It is a fine example of early renaissance architecture with sculptures and cramp-irons. The masonry originally was painted red with white […]
“Piety, beauty, youth, death, madness and old age congregated here” Clare Lennart wrote this in 1960 about the Nicolas Graveyard (Nicolaaskerkhof). Clare Lennart was born in 1899 in Hattem and came in 1926 to Utrecht. She lived here until her death in 1972.
The construction of the late gothic cross basilica, part of the Carmelite Monastery, started in 1470. The nave of the church was completed in 1551. The church became a cathedral in 1853. From 1895 to 1900, the church was expanded on the west side by design of A. Tepe.
The Smee tower On this spot, during the period of 1145 until 1854, stood The Smee Tower