The large boulder was placed to prevent damage to the corner of the building by wagon wheels. Legend has it that devils played marbles with the stone at night. Local residents grew tired of the infernal noise and, after a priest had driven away the devils, chained the boulder. In 1520, the boulder was already […]
Oude Houtensepad formerly known as Houtense Zandweg Around Utrecht, there were various toll roads in the past, such as the Oude Houtensepad, formerly known as the Houtense Zandweg. This road was an important access road to the southern part of the province of Houten and Schalkwijk. It was therefore a toll road, with an accompanying […]
Former Public Reading Room Former public reading room built in 1910 in late Neo-Renaissance style, designed by J. Stuivinga. On the right-hand side is the accompanying service residence. Prior to this, the house of 17th-century theology professor Gisbertus Voetius (1589-1676) stood on this site.
Built in 1462/67 on the site of an older and smaller building, this structure was used for special gatherings, such as the meeting of the five chapters in which a new bishop was elected. It was also the meeting hall for the States of Utrecht until 1528. On January 25, 1579, the Union of Utrecht […]
Rooms by Jan van Campen In 1574, Jan van Campen renovated his house, giving rise to four large and nine small rooms attached to the Leeuwenbergh guest house. The nine rooms still exist. In 1645, when the Nieuwe Kamp was built, part of it was demolished and replaced, of which one house still exists. The […]
Bruntenhof Fifteen apartments built in 1621 by Frederik Brunt on the site of the medieval Klein Lepelenburg. At number 5 is the main building with a monumental gate. Between 1979 and 1981 the complex was restored.
Leeuwenbergh guest house Plague hospital built in 1567 from a bequest of Agnes van Leeuwenbergh. nearly rebuilt in 1678 after a city fire. Converted into military barracks in 1794. University building from 1845 to 1930. Church building ever since. Restored in 1881, 1930 and 1977.
Maliebaan – bike path On September 15th, 1885, the first cycling road in the Netherlands was built here. In 1883, the Nederlansche Bond voor Vélocipčdisten was founded on Maliebaan 89. Cycling was a new and popular leisure activity, but it still encountered resistance here and there. The association aimed to remove prejudices against cycling. In […]
Foundation of Renswoude The wealthy Maria Duyst van Voorhout (1662 – 1754), Vrijvrouwe van Renswoude, left almost her entire fortune to three orphanages in Utrecht, Delft and The Hague. She determined that gifted orphan boys should be trained internally in artistic and technical subjects. The regents of the Utrecht Stadsambacht children’s home, now the Centraal […]
ANWB tourist association ANWB tourist association 1883-1933 Founded here July 1st In memory of the 100th anniversary of the Royal Dutch Tourist Association ANWB ANWB – 1 July 1983